Ep. 104: The Digital Stage Director - Garnett Bruce
The opera stage director is the movie director for the theater—a Steven Spielberg or J. J. Abrams type. Leading hundreds of all types of artists into the battle of a live performance costing at the minimum several hundred thousand dollars, and frequently millions. It’s not a job for the weak, the timid, or the average leadership talent.
Garnett Bruce continues to lead productions for opera companies of all sizes and budgets. His early apprenticeships honed his talents and enhanced his native talents and abilities to foster and sustain a positive creative atmosphere for work. His exceptional emotional maturity allows him to bridge the daily kovfefes which are legend in the opera world.
This same spirit applies to his work with young, emerging operatic talent, where as a prof at the Peabody Institute at Johns Hopkins University, he leads, instructs, nurtures and guides the profession’s next great talents.
It's our duty to get the art off the page and into our daily lives.
- Garnett Bruce
- Garnett Bruce website (garnettbruce.com)
- Houston Grand Opera Studio and Alumni perform the Act IV finale of Mozart's opera THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO in COVID-19 style! (creativity at it's best—a must watch).
- Bass/Baritone Ryan McKinney's YouTube channel—replete with his audio/video creations of #KeepTheMusicGoing solos, duets and ensembles.
- Turandot (Puccini) - act 1 excerpt [00:00]
- "Vedrai carino" from Don Giovanni (Mozart) excerpt [16:26]
- "Ah! Mes amis (Goat Edition)" from Daughter of the Regiment (Donizetti) [31:55]
- Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong: Dream a Little Dream of Me [38:33]
CONNECT WITH US AT TECH IN ART
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/techinart)
(hover over player for playback controls and info button)